Research Assistant on a MacArthur Foundation-funded project studying the trajectories of civically-engaged youth and their use of new digital media, December 2009 – March 2012.
Details of Work
- Co-developed research framework
- Developed and co-led an interactive presentation to solicit feedback on our research framework at the Civic Learning, Civic Practices Conference on July 3, 2010
- Co-developed pre-interview survey and interview protocol
- Implemented the survey on SurveyMonkey
- Generated initial list of subject recruitment sites around Boston
- Coordinated recruitment process, establishing contacts at local organizations, distributing online pre-interview surveys, and scheduling interviews with youth
- Presented research progress report at YPP network meeting in New York City on April 21, 2011
- Co-developed coding scheme for interview transcripts
- Participated in cross-network coding meeting in Los Angeles on June 15-16, 2011
- Helped prepare presentation proposal for 2012 Digital Media and Learning Conference
Related Presentations and Publications
- Graeff, E & James, C. 2012. Community Service, Social Entrepreneurship, and Digital Media: Stories from Youth’s Civic Lives. Presentation at the Digital Media and Learning Conference, San Francisco, CA, Mar 1-3.
- Graeff, E & James, C. 2010. Solving the Problem of Studying New Forms of Participation On- and Offline. Presented at the Civic Studies, Civic Practices Conference, Jonathan M. Tisch College of Citizenship and Public Service, Tufts University, Medford, MA, Jul 3.